Land Use Planning and Zoning Officers for Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
|Resources & Environment, Social Science|
|Full time job|
|20th October 2019|
|Minimum 2 years|
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a world leader in on-the-ground wildlife conservation. WCS has been working in partnership with the Royal Government of Cambodia since 1999, providing technical advice and support for the conservation of key habitats and species across the country. Within the Northern Tonle Sap Protected Landscape our collaborative projects with the Ministry of Environment (MoE) and Provincial department of environment (PDoE) focus on law enforcement, Eco-tourism biodiversity monitoring and community Land Use Planning.
All (Protected Area) PAs are under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Environment (MoE). Zoning process is required according to the PA Law 2010 in all PAs managed by the MoE. MoE is the lead agency for all zoning and management plan development including demarcation of PAs. WCS cooperates with the (PDoE) Kompong Thom Province and all activities support PDoE to manage the PA better and in line with the legal framework of Royal Government of Cambodia. All land use planning and resource management needs approval and support of PDoE.
Purpose of the position:
The Land Use Planning position will be implementation of the USAID Greening Prey Land project (USAID-GPL) and USAID GPL field office in Kompong Thom Province. The position will work closely with WCS-GPL technical staff and PEoE. The position is report to the Governance team leader.
Role: Land-use Planning Officer supports for Protected Areas zonation and demarcation works in WCS Northern Tonle Sap Protected Landscape. Provides technical coordination supports on mapping natural resources and current land-use in Protected Areas that being zoned. Assists to arranges meetings or workshops for zonation working groups in Kompong Thom.
Project Name : WCS-GPL Cambodia Program
Duty Station : Kompong Thom province
Managed by :
- USAID GPL Governance Team Leader (KPT)
- WCS Landscape Technical Advisor
Main tasks Land-use Planning
Conducting land-use mapping in WCS Supports Protected Areas in Kompong Thom. Participation in strategic meetings and planning sessions to ensure all current land-use is mapping in PA zonation.
- Conducts and facilitates Participatory Land-use Planning for villages, communities and communes in Kompong Thom province. Make sure communities aware and participate in PLUP process.
- Provides necessary technical support to committees to conduct mapping activities, village/community boundary negotiations and village discussions. Identifies and sketches/maps all types of land tenure in the WCS supports protect areas.
- Assists to map land use, natural resources and biodiversity in protected areas. Ensure villages/community understand the laws, legal instructions, traditional judicial and different procedures and help them make informed decisions regarding their involvement in the protected areas zonation process.
- Assists GIS Team to produce spatial datasets of land-use, natural resources and biodiversity. Ensure that is sufficient data which matched criteria of each zone of the PAs. Liaise with other NGOs working on protected area(s) zonation.
- Document all activities, file and maintain files of all activities for future reference and help committees file and maintain their records of their activities. Build capacity of village committees to conduct meetings, write minutes and official letters, manage funds as necessary, and help community develop procedures and rules and regulations for natural resource use by communities.
- Build capacity of village committees to work with village elders, local authorities and park authorities to implement the consensually developed natural resource management rules and regulations in their village.
- Coordinate technical GIS Team, Park/PDoE officials and all sub-national authorities/stakeholders in the landscape to produce maps and cooperate with PDoE officials and communities to demarcate different zones and Protected Area Communities (CPAs) in WCS supported protected areas. Participates demarcation task forces after the protected area is zoned and recognized by the government.
- Acts as member of Demarcation Task Forces as and when invited.
- Coordinates with Demarcation Task Forces, GIS Team, community and all stakeholders/authorities to demarcate CPA(s) and other zone boundaries legally and properly.
- Cooperates with PDoE officials to provide with logistic/procurement personnel to ensure standard (MOE) poles are used and installation of boundary poles follow proper official procedures in the boundary demarcation.
- Monthly activities report follows requite formats.
- Complete duty timesheets and clear advance.
- Perform other relevant duties as required by Kampong Thom Landscape Manager (USAID-GPL) or/and WCS Landscape Technical Advisor on Protected Areas Land-use Planning and Demarcation as needed.
- Cooperate with other teams supported by WCS or GPL ensuring there is good relationship and communication between communities, local authorities and all other teams. Keep good communication with local authorities; commune, district and provincial, to promote mutual trust.
- Desired bachelor degree in natural/Social sciences; required experience in GPS field mapping and ground truthing.
- At least 2 years’ practical experiences in community based capacity building, training and meeting facilitation
- Experiences in data collection using GPS, Natural Resource mapping
- Experience in coordinating village, commune, district level community meetings facilitation and presentation skills
- Experience of working in multi‐cultural environment and NGO
- Preferably good command written spoken English.
WCS provides competitive salary and benefits packages based on educational background and work experiences.
Interested candidates are invited to send by email and required to send cover letters together with cv by combining into one PDF file (with expected salary) to email@example.com. Closing date for application is 20th October 2019. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- The applicant shall clearly state the position for which s/he wishes to apply in the application.
About WCS contact address: House No. 21 Street 21, Sangkat Tonle Bassac, Khan Chamkarmon, Phnom Penh
Phone: 023 217 205
Help Khmer Online JobsWhen you apply for this job, if possible please mention that "You see this job announcement in www.khmeronlinejobs.com".
Thanks, From Khmer Online Jobs Team
The Wildlife Conservation Society, founded in 1895, has the clear mission to save wildlife and wild places across the globe. WCS's goal is to conserve the world's largest wild places in 16 priority regions, home to more than 50% of the world's biodiversity. We currently manage about 500 conservation projects in more than 60 countries.
WCS has been working in partnership with the Royal Government of Cambodia since 1999, providing technical advice and support for the conservation of key habitats and species across the country.
|Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)|
|023 217 205|
|House No. 21 Street 21, Sangkat Tonle Bassac, Khan Chamkarmon, Phnom Penh|